Friday 24 March 2023

Built Some Terrain

Was laid up from surgery for a bit and had some time on my hands. Rather than paint up a bunch of minis I figure my time might be better spent on one of the things I've really put off, terrain. 

Nothing to exciting, I really wanted to capture the look of the terrain from the Warhammer 4th and 5th ed battle reports I used to look at. 



First up I decided to make a river. I've never got around to making on before and they give a lot of narrative possibilities and scenario ideas. 

They are basically MDF pieces with foam core built up on the sides, then trimmed. Painting them was a bit of a trial, and I'm not sure I'm totally sold on them but they're done for now. 



Trees were made from some fake pine boughs I got in a Christmas wreath. I sprayed them with glue and then flocked them. I sprayed them a couple times more with watered down wood glue to make them a bit more durable. 


Hills were simply cut out from 1" thick foam. Painted with cheap paints and flocked. I definitely need to touch up the flocking on these and give them some more coats of watered down glue. 


Next up are the buildings, these are from old white dwarf articles. Construction is foam core with wooden coffee stirrers or popsicle sticks glued on. Roof tiles are made from cardboard strips as per the original article. I intend to make a few more buildings and some more fences and wall sections in the future. 
 


That's pretty much it for now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment