Saturday 27 August 2022

6th Ed Tournament at Capitol City Bloodbath

 

Had the great pleasure of attending another 6th ed tournament last Sunday. The event was organized by Danny MacDonald and run during the Capitol city bloodbath tournament. 

The venue and atmosphere was great, the tables well laid out for us, and the catered lunch was actually pretty good! Having so many 40k and AOS players battling it out next to us gave the event a great energy. 

This was the first event that had a painting requirement and I managed to field a completely painted force for the first time ever! 

My first battle was against Mike and his tidy Hordes of Chaos force


He had a couple units of Chaos warriors (one chosen), a giant, some trolls a chariot and some Marauder horsemen. Not visible above is my unit of knights hangin out on the left flank. 



Not much happening here, his horsemen charge towards my Handgunners and take a few hits, my Knights peek their heads in to see what's going on. I use the hellblaster to take a couple wounds off the Giant.
At this point Mike had taken out my Mortar and Handgunners were fleeing. He also managed to wreck my Free Company detachment with his chariot. I would have been better off putting my Swordsmen tight up to the hill to protect their flank. My Knight charge into the giant and manage to win! The Hellblaster does some serious damage to his Chaos chosen and they fail their panic test ( with re-roll!) and flee! 
This is where it starts to go badly for me. Both my Pistoliers and Swordsmen fail their fear test to charge the trolls and can do nothing but wait for the chariot. My Knights clip the Warriors regiment and end up getting slowly blendered by the Chaos Hero 

It's pretty much over by this point. His Chariot smashed my Swords and then right into the spearmen, the Warriors are grinding the Spearmen from the front but surprisingly the Hangunners held off the Marauder horse. Was a great game despite being a massacre for me. Mike is an easy playing opponent and has brought a different painted army to each tournament. 
Next battle was against Peter and his insane Gnoblar horde. He has 450 models in this 1500 point battle! Honestly this battle was a bit of a blur for me, just an massive horde coming at me all game. I tried to concentrate all my forces on one flank and hoped to smash a hole through to get some flank charges in. 

Not visible above are the Hellblaster and the Knight on my right flank.

I think this is turn three (maybe four). Both my Hellblaster and Mortar have misfired and exploded. My Knights have managed to break a unit and are wheeling to charge again. Somewhat hilariously his Gnoblars  killed two fully armoured Knights with their sharp stuff attacks! I manage to break several of his units but he manages to roll extremely well for his fleeing rolls and I never catch and destroy them. 
Situation at the end. I've plowed into his units with my main force and broke several of his, again never catching them. He has several fleeing units at end of game and a few made it off the table, so I won a solid victory! 
Hats off to Peter for bringing this army to the table. He has managed to paint an incredible horde to a pretty reasonable standard and him and his horde were great fun to play against. 

Last battle was against Connor and his Vampire Counts army of Sylvania. A pretty elite force with two Black coaches. At this point I was definitely feeling the mental load of playing three games in a row. Nonetheless we had a great game with a lot of highs and lows. 
Just before this pick I managed to charge his General in the unit of Zombies and his force begins to crumble! The zombies still manage to break the Knights and they flee back for the camp. Off on the right flank my Handgunners and Pistoliers whittle down his Black Knights unit, and the Pistoliers are driven off the table by his mounted Vampire thrall. His Black coaches both charge into my Halberdiers detachment and they die bravely.
At this point Connor's force has begun to crumble pretty badly. However the presence of the Black coaches causes my Spearmen unit to flee in terror! My brave Knights keep trotting towards their tents and my Swordsmen are still stuck into the Zombies. 
I've gotten pretty tired at this point and there are few pictures. His bats and my Hellblaster crew have been fighting it out on my left. My Hangunners managed to shoot down his Vampire on the right and his remaining black coach has got into my Swordsmen. I'm not sure but I think I forgot a panic check here that might have made a difference. 
Connor has bad luck here and the Black coach completely whiffs it's charge, killing one swordsmen. I manage to finish it off just in time. 
Connor was a great opponent here, losing his general early on was a real blow, but he nearly managed to turn it around. It was very close at the end and I just managed a solid victory. 

All in all this was a great day out, huge thanks to Danny for getting this together and to everyone that turned up ( 10 players!) to play this out of print game. Lots of folks stopped by and were well pleased to see Fantasy Battles being played again, hopefully some of them will come out for the next one. 







No comments:

Post a Comment